Ahhhhhh yes - food experimentation has begun. Two days ago I watched as she plunked her pile of cheerios right into the middle of her bowl of cauliflower trees and began eating by the handfuls without batting an eyelash. Then today she wanted to dip her french fries in the applesauce just like mommy was dipping hers in ketchup. Apparently she will not grow up to be a chef.... or maybe she will.
Along with her varying food choices, she has developed what we call a bit of an opinion. For those of you who know me well, I know it will be shocking to hear my daughter is opinionated... what can I say? Feisty? Independant? Call it what you want. My mom used to ask me, "but wouldn't you rather have child with a little spunk and independance, than a child who does whatever you say and relies on you for everything." I used to answer quickly - I definitely want the independant child. Notice I said 'used to.' After the past five days I may not answer so quickly. Ava has decided she knows what she wants and the word 'no' brings about a dramatic episode beginning with some weepy eyes and loud sobs and finishes with a slow motion throwing of her body to the ground. And when she's really upset she throws her head onto my lap as if to say 'why are you doing this to me mommy?' I find myself wondering how she is possibly at this point already. She's only a 13 months old. 13 months!
Consistent. Be consistent with your discipline. That's what all the parenting books and magazines and grandparents say. And before I had children I used to say it myself. That would be so much easier if she was consistent and if my emotions didn't get in the way. And I ask myself over and over 'is THIS something that is worth the battle?' Dropping things on the floor? Playing with the remotes and the cell phone? Climbing up the slide (with my help)? Picking the flowers? Playing in the dirt? Feeding herself the yogurt? Playing with the toilet paper roll? Opening and closing the cabinets? Every thing she does all day long I ask myself - Will this be a problem later? Will I have wish I never let her do this? If I don't let her do it am I not letting her experiment and play? Am I letting her manipulate me into doing this? Of course, there are some things that are just an absolute 'no', but she is already discovering there are grey areas.
Anyone out there with any advice - give it to me! It is no doubt going to be a busy and boundary testing summer and I need all the help I can get.
No comments:
Post a Comment