Saturday, April 14, 2007

Heading into the traveling green bean caserole era...


Today Greg and I rearranged and cleaned out our kitchen cabinets as our little one has found her feet and her curiosity. We moved all dangerous objects to unreachable cabinets and tupperware and junk drawer playables to reachable areas. All other cabinets were given a safety lock. The title of this blog comes from a comment Greg made that made me laugh out loud. We were deciding about what we needed to get rid of from our pots and pans cabinet. Somewhere from the back he pulled out one of those traveling warmers for a 9x13 pan. I could see him contemplating whether this was a keeper or a goodwill item when he says "We'll need this since we are heading into the traveling green bean caserole era."

When people say that children change your life forever, you always imagine it as a sleepless, but full of love sort of change. But I've realized that isn't what they mean at all. It means that everything that used to be simple in your life has now become complicated. Every decision you make, every item that you set down, every minute that you spend for yourself... all of that is tied to this little person. Two weekends ago we put up gates that now have to be opened and closed every time we walk up the stairs. Today we put plastic tabs on the cabinets and we will never open a cabinet the same again. Every time a waitress sets something down at our table I wonder how hot it is and make sure it's out of reach. Every time I walk out the door I ask myself... diaper? wipes? bottle? snack? sippy cup? toy? Last Saturday morning I got my daughter dressed, loaded her up, and went to the grocery store in my pajamas... didn't even brush my hair. I made myself coffee, but I didn't brush my hair. Coffee is way more important! Children really do change EVERYTHING! I hope this doesn't sound like complaining because I truly do love every bit of her and tomorrow when she is unloading her new tupperware cabinet I will laugh out loud watching her enjoy a simple piece of plastic.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Allison said...

Marcia,
I couldn't possibly agree more. This blog made Chris and me laugh out loud. We just got back from a four day trip to Denver. We used to share one suitcase for such a trip. Today, we had three, and a trunk full of all the extras. These girls are worth it, but life will never be the same. Good luck chasing Ava!
Allison

Lara said...

it is so good to know that I am not in the land of baby crazy all by myself anymore. Now when we are all together, you and I can just look at eachother and smile...oh, if only Meg & Jac could understand! You are a great momma, it makes me so excited to see how much you are enjoying it. You remind me to look for the little details in them that are so easy to miss in the craziness of everyday.
I love you and miss you.
Lara

Marcia Melton said...

Allison,
I'm glad you were amused - so many things strike me as funny about my life now I think I could write a book. I love that you keep up with my blog, I always check yours too whenever I'm looking at Megan's. It is so much fun that they are the same age - Natalie is adorable and I love seeing what she is up to as well. Good to hear from you!
Marcia

Marcia Melton said...

Lara,
You are DEFINITELY not in the land of baby crazy alone anymore! It is it's own universe, isn't it? Hey, we got Jeremy's graduation invite - it is the same day as Ava's first birthday party so we will be thinking about you. Tell him congratulations from us - I know it has been a long hard road for both of you. Pennsylvania - her you come!
Love you sister,
Marcia