Last night we went to the in-laws to see Granny and Papaw. Greg's grandmother makes me giggle every time we see her. She has this dynamic and stereotypical Granny personality. She is loud, blunt, and well... a granny. I told Greg on that way home that I needed to start writing down the things she says so we can remember some day how funny she is. Last nights grannyism was (on the topic of Hilary Clinton running for president) "We don't need no woman in the white house." I always have to remind myself she comes from a different time and place then the world I am living in and I smile.
Papaw has been diagnosed with alzheimers and I have a hard time seeing him with Ava knowing that some day he may not know who she is. Right now, he is absolutely crazy about her and brags on and on about her and how she is the first girl Melton in over 100 years. It's hard to know if he is just old or if it's the alzheimers as we have heard the story over and over before. But, as Greg said last night, he may not remember her name, but he remembers how much he loves her.
It makes me sad that Ava will not know her grandparents on my side. My grandpa Schaefer was the last of my grandparents to pass away - the year before she was born. But my grandmothers not knowing her makes me the most sad. They would have loved her to pieces and I often feel that the two of them are the spirit of the woman I am today and the woman Ava will someday be... Jacqueline and Helen. Unfortunately they both passed before I was woman enough to know how much a part of me they were.
It's funny how I feel like I have something to say and then I say it and then I have nothing more to say... that was it. I miss them.
No comments:
Post a Comment