Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Whose turn is it?

Hubby and I just had one of our tiffs about whose turn it was to handle the baby. It disgusts me that we aren't both jumping at the chance to do whatever needs to be done for her. But, I've really decided the problem is not that we don't want to help her, it's that we are both very fair people. I did this- so you do that. We both like to keep things even so nobody feels shafted. It just sometimes feels silly since we both love her so much. But there is also the truth that we both still need our down time to unwind and collect our thoughts or the days just pass us by with hours of work, hours working around the house, hours spending time with Ava, and hours sleeping. It is all a balancing act... doing enough of everything that we don't feel guilty for what we didn't do. Is that enough? Would life feel more full if I gave all of my energy to one or two things and felt like I really did them well? Or would I just feel guilty for all the things I could be doing, but I'm not. Now that we have Ava, living my life well seems so much more important. But with such a short amount of time, how do I be the best mom, the best wife, the best teacher. And I don't mean 'best' as in the best at it in the world, I just mean the best that I can be... what I am meant to be. What am I meant to be?

No comments: